When last we checked on David “thereisnospoon” Atkins he was busily ruining Digby’s reputation. Things haven’t changed:
Let’s be clear: there are only four things that keep Republicans alive, electorally speaking. They are:
1) A perception on the part of a lot of white people who believe that the tax system is unfair, that tax dollars are being spent on people who don’t look like them;
2) An unfair legislative system that gives undue weight to less populated, overwhelmingly conservative areas to block key reformist legislation;
3) Gobs of corporate money;
4) A pliant media that fails to call a spade a spade.
Let’s take them in order:
1) This nation was founded by people who perceived that the tax system was unfair. Playing the race card is so 2008.
2) Our Founding Fathers were pretty smart guys. Smarter than any of us. They intentionally set up a two-house system that prevented the bigger, more populous states from dominating the smaller, less populous ones. That was part of the deal that was made to get the Constitution ratified.
We should be very leery of making fundamental changes in our system of government lest we suffer the Law of Unintended Consequences.
3) In 2008 the Democrats took in more corporate money than the GOP. By far the number one recipient of corporate money was Barack Obama.
4) Barack Obama was and is the media darling.
Filed under: Uncategorized