If the attempt by Occupy Baltimore to give advice to rape victims wasn’t a big clue in how clueless the Occupiers are, maybe this will be convincing. The hacktivist group Anonymous is out with a new guide called Survival for Citizens in a Revolution (PDF download here). Page 8 features advice for potential rape victims and rape victims, and it sounds suspiciously like the advice the Toronto cop gave that prompted Slutwalk, and a whole lot like the advice given to women circa 1 A.D. – 2011. Here it is:
The best protection against rape is not to get in a situation where it could happen
- Never go out alone (day or night)
- Try to appear undesirable and unattractive, but do not look helpless, or unable to escape.
- Wear clothes that cover most of your skin, clothing that is hard to remove for attackers, but do not hinder you while running fast, or climbing a fence.
- Wear: jeans, belt, turtleneck etc.
- Do not wear: Skirts
- Wear decent shoes that you can run in, like sneakers or light boots
- Never leave public places, and don’t let people isolate you
- Don’t trust new friends
- NEVER provoke! What might be okay in a stable society will get you in deep trouble in times when there is no backed law enforcement.
- Wear a wedding ring or wedding band, even if not married.
Here’s their advice if you just can’t avoid being raped all by yourself:
If you cannot avoid it
- Prevent beeing [sic] transported to a secondary site, use passive resistance, try to stay put
- Yell “FIRE”, not “help”, as more people will react to it.
- Use your head and assess the situation, don’t waste your energy.
- If you’re pinned wait for an opportunity to break out
- If you fight aim for the eyes, throat or genitals, dislocate/break fingers.
And there you have it. Sound advice from DudebroNation on how to protect yourself from DudebroNation. I’m thinking RadFem is onto something with Occupy Dudeville. Maybe a mass challenging of the male authority stinking up the protests is in order. I would personally LOVE to see that.