Robert A. Heinlein:
Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as “bad luck.”
Everywhere that capitalism has been tried it has resulted in the the creation of wealth and a rise in the standard of living. Everywhere socialism has been tried it has resulted in widespread poverty. To be fair, the benefits of capitalism have not been shared equally. On the other hand, the negative effects of socialism are more democratic. Either way, the “1%” always enjoy a higher standard of living than the other 99%.
Over several millennia humankind has developed ideas of virtue and morality. Those ideas have changed over time but some have persisted through the ages. If we think in evolutionary terms these virtues increased our chances of survival – not necessarily individually but as a species.
In recent years some members of our society have decided that they are smarter than our ancestors. I too, once used to think that way.
As I get older I appreciate more and more the accumulated wisdom of our elders.