Ariel Castro, the man convicted earlier this year of kidnapping three woman, holding them in his Cleveland home for nearly a decade, and repeatedly sexually assaulting them, committed suicide in his Ohio jail cell Tuesday night, according to an Ohio corrections official.
A statement from the Ohio Department of Corrections said Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell at the Correctional Reception Center in the town of Orient at 9:20 p.m. local time. After prison medical staff attempted to perform life-saving measures, Castro was transferred to The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, where he was pronounced dead at 10:52 p.m.
Castro, a former bus driver, was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years on August 1 for kidnapping and sexually assaulting Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight, and Gina DeJesus while holding them captive in his house. He even fathered a daughter with Berry, but was barred from seeing the child after a judge rejected his request for visitation rights as a consequence of his sentence. Investigators say the women were bound with chains, repeatedly raped and deprived of food and bathroom facilities. Knight told investigators she was beaten and starved several times to force her to miscarry.
In a rambling statement, he told the judge he was not a monster but a man suffering from a pornography addiction, saying “I’m not a monster. I’m sick.”
He cheated justice. He should have suffered in prison for a long, long time before he died slowly and painfully. On the other hand he will never rape again and he saved Ohio taxpayers a bunch of money.
I hope he burns in hell.