Like I know what I’m doing…😉
I’m sure you guys have seen the headlines (snort) so won’t bore you with Redstate details that you’ve already read on blogs, twit and other “reliable” news sources. Just some “post mortem” thoughts while I unpack, aw the hell with it, pour a lovely beverage……..
1. I had a fabulous time overall, from the air travel to the fine host hotel to enjoying every minute of the event. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, in fact, may go to CPAC this winter!
2. The people I met were lovely, sweet, kind and gentle. As I roamed around a lot, every table I plopped at made me 9 new friends.
3. Most thrilled to meet: Katie Pavlich, Mary Katherine Ham and Ed Morrissey. Real people people.
4. The All-event tickets were sold out long before Trump even declared his candidacy officially. Yes, darn, would have loved to see him in person, but it was no big deal for me.
5. I was not disappointed in my favorite horses so far, Carly, Ted, Marco, Scott, Rick … their speeches are online somewhere, but to see them given in person WOWSA factor. They were ROCK STARS!
Bonus: Texas Gov Abbott brought the house down too ! I told the Texas Tribune guy, when he asked me what I thought of his speech, I’d trade your gov for mine in a heartbeat! Tim Scott is a hoot, there’s a future for him…..(gads, the GOP still has a deep bench!)
6. Next debate be sure to go to a watch party! So much fun to watch with a few or hundreds of rabid fans of different “teams” with booze.
7. Favorite event: The states party. Find the table with your state’s flag and mingle with your people. From Virginia, I met Palmyra, Reedville, Yorktown, Richmond and Arlington. And one couple from Washington state who’s flag shared our table.
8. This was not an evangelical wing nut crowd, too boozy. Nobody wants to ban abortion, just defund it. The left would be pissed if the gov funded the NRA, right?
9. Erick started this gathering with 125 people attending 7 years ago. He’s definitely GOPe, but such a sweet guy. He’s BFF with Jeb! and said so. Rumors then swirled, the Trump diss was to help his friend. This was not Jeb! territory, but the audience was very polite to him. It really wasn’t a Trump crowd either, just mostly disappointed they’d miss a center ring act.
10. (Because I’m OCD and need a 10 😉 ) Biggest disappointment: The MSM. The Trump kerfluffle was a gift to them, and they could care less about other candidates after that. You may have seen the photos of “I am Donald Trump” guy and the “Haters Gonna Hate” shirt w/Trump photo guy. I had breakfast with the first one, he was off his meds before the explosion, and screamed at the ladies applauding Erick’s decision at our table….”What about Men’s rights bitches!” I thought he was going to flip the table. Next thing I knew, he stood in a corner with his Donald sign letting the media do selfies with him.
11. Ok, I’m done for now. I still love all the candidates, it’s very early in the first quarter, stuff and sh*t’s gonna happen, new post debate numbers will be out soon …. gird your loins, enjoy the ride fellow travelers 🙂